Friday, February 1, 2008

Travel Plans

Doug is right. There isn't much in Palembang or surroundings. To the north, 500 km, is the city of Medan. Tomorrow, I have made plans to see that area. To get there means returning to Jakarta and then flying past Palembang, and on to Medan. Why can't there be a direct flight? This was planned through a travel agent named Lisa at whose desk I sat for an hour. Sumatra, as I'm sure most of the third world countries, is run by 18-25 year olds. Lisa can't be over 20. Not wanting to have that lost look when I land in Medan, I also booked a hotel, Garuda Plaza Hotel, for one night-$35 for a 3 star hotel. I'll let you know if that should read 3 or less when I arrive. From there I want to make my way to some parks and Lake Toba.
I bought a pocket dictionary and a Sumatra map for help.
Here's a tip: When you are in REI buying travel clothes and the salesperson says, "These clothes will dry in one hour!" ADD 2 DAYS. Although, I am contemplating wearing damp clothes. Why not? Certainly cooler!

1 comment:

Among Worlds said...

I understand that Lake Toba is rather beautiful - but having never been there, I will have to rely on your blog entries to see if it is true!

Can't wait to see any photos you are able to upload here!
Margie