Monday, February 11, 2008

The Camera - Fujifilm

Monday Evening - Feb. 11
Calling Doug Sunda from the hotel, I gather info about camera shopping. The price is the price-no negotiating. That determined I walk to the mall and find the first camera store. I am in search of a camera which will use my XD memory card, a 2 GB card which cost me dearly Stateside and I'm not willing to give it up. This store has no cameras which use the XD card. OK, where? Upstairs! This transaction, as well as any I'm about to relate, happens with pointing and expressions, only. Words don't work! Communication happens on many levels. On the 3rd floor I find another shop being serviced by 3 young Indo women. This will be tricky! Showing my XD card, I finally get them to think camera rather than another XD card. Now we're on the right track. They only have one brand of camera, Fujifilm, which takes the XD. I choose the Fujifilm, 8.3 Mega Pixels, 3X zoom and ask how much - $150. It is battery run, 2AA, and isn't what my Olympus was, but it will do. (I will apologize to my Olympus for my carelessness when I return to my room.) Then comes the fun of filling out the registration form. That transaction never happens. Neither one of us can communicate enough to get it done. They want a phone #. I have none. Next, next, and next, nothing works. Finally, one young lady calls her boss. He tells her to forget it. That suits me fine. We shake hands all around, and I leave. And it has a chord to transfer pictures. This time I pay specific attention to that detail.

2 comments:

PG said...

This is a tricky way to communicate. It sounds like you are having a great time in your travels. Can you post pictures? PG

PG said...

We miss you in the painting class, it is not the same without you. Now Gloria might have a schedule change as well! Kay misses you a lot, drop her a line once in a while. I am sorry the painting class was not able to have dinner before you left. I had found a spork for you...in case chop sticks loose their charm. Take care and be safe. PG