Saturday, February 9, 2008

Medan, again

Catching the ferry at 7:00, I am heading to Parapat, the town on the mainland across from Tuk Tuk. Once there, I check the public square for the WC. By the WC are merchants selling fish from the lake. The fish flop, in the early morning coolness, and wait their turn to be gutted and scaled. I have found that in addition to the public bus, which was my transportation on the way down, there is also a minibus which can be shared with up to 7 persons. A young Indian couple with a 5 year old boy are geting into such a minibus and I ask if I can go along. They have chartered the minibus, but the man agrees that I can have the backseat. We'll settle later, he says. The wife is not happy with him giving me a seat. Finding my spot, I listen to her reasons why, "The boy will need to pee. I will want to stop along the way." Yes, I agree. That settled, we leave. Bouncing and weaving becomes a habit with this driver and the road. One particular bounce has me hitting my head on the ceiling. The wife softens, asks about me, and hands me a sandwich they had brought with them. I accept graciously; bread, cheese, and tomato. Onward. The 5 year old suddenly has this sick look and the mother hurriedly searches for a barf bag. It is one from the airplane trip over, and the boy is sick. Leaving the bag and contents by the side of the road, we continue. 3 1/2 hours from the start, we arrive at the airport in Medan. I pay the $10 for the ride and am happy to have that behind me. The Indian family is headed back to Jakarta where he works. The driver takes me to my accomodations, Hotel Raya. At 70000 ($7), it is downtown Medan. I have a second floor room with a small balcony. Bathroom is off the balcony. Still not having a working phone, I email Doug, in Palembang, and have transfered the particulars of my tomorrow's arrival. Now for some food and a walk.

2 comments:

Among Worlds said...

Quite the exposure to the local culture! It is so much fun to read your blog and see Indonesia through your eyes!!

I hope you can get your phone situation taken care of - Doug should be able to help you with that! If you need to purchase one, have him do the bargaining.

Larry said...

I already have Doug alerted to the phone situatin, and the need for a new camera. We will do some serious shopping either tomorrow or the next.
Larry