Thursday, February 7, 2008

1 goes and 1 stays

Thursday, Feb. 7,08
Shannon left at 10:00, headed for Medan. I hate good-byes. There she will again find Anna. The influx of new guests has me longing for old friends. This is the Chinese New Year and there will be celebrations everywhere, including Tuk Tuk. I killed 6 mosquitoes in my room and still received two bites. They had to get me between undressing and covering with my top sheet-both bites are on my knee cap. Ambushed!
Praise Jesus (David), I found an internet connection for my memory card. After that I worked to place all pictures on my flash drive and set up a Picasa site for viewing.
(Confession I am grabbing back-with your hands make a grabbing motion here-attempting to retrieve, take back, all the curses and hexes I have placed on the man who sold me my camera.)
Around 4:00, I spent time talking with a 48 yr old German man, Robert, who referred to himself as a professional traveller. His wife comes along as she can. He wants to visit every country in the world. He laments the fact that he has not yet seen Japan. I looked him over closely for clues as to traveling light and well.
Stupidity has followed me half-way round the world. Jumping in for a swim I did not remove my camera hanging on my belt. It likely isn't fixable, although I have removed battery and memory stick and swabbed as much as possible with a Q tip. All-Weather, which appears on the front of the camera, does not mean All-Wet. Thankfully, all pictures were transferred and so I'm losing a camera but no memories. If it doesn't come around I will check in Jakarta for a new one. Drat!

1 comment:

Michael Steeves said...

Wet cameras are not fun! I once spilled chai all over my camera. I took it to pieces and cleaned out the sticky mess. It still works, 2-1/2 years later. It is corrosion that kills things if it isn't dried out quickly.

Great pics, great stories! Keep it up!