Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sentani Lake

Papua has many of the same feelings as I remember from growing up years in Congo. There is a friendliness, a genuine laughter, joking, and acceptance that is not found in advanced cultures. At least, not as often. Here, I also see a difference between the Indonesian population which has come to the island and the Papuans. Papuans take life at a slower pace.
Up to now, I have not encountered a missionary presence. That is, up to now! Here, I have been surrounded by their presence. There is much more that can be said, but it will wait for a later date. I will comment, at some point.
Iain and I are occupying the days with so many good things. How does one tell of experiences which are so full? Every minute is filled with new things. There is at time a sensory overload of feeling.
Although I have come with 28 passport photos, the Indonesian government requires a red background. 8 new photos have been taken. Tomorrow, I plan to visit the police station to obtain a pass into the interior - Wamena. From Wamena I will travel to Pyramid and then to Holuwon. Soleman, who comes from Holuwon, is returning home for a brief visit with his mother who is ill, and I will accompany him. I will be in this very remote setting for approximately 2 weeks and will be the only foreigner. Soleman's guidance will be valued.
New photos: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/musungi/SentaniLake

3 comments:

Among Worlds said...

Larry,
Thanks again for the great photos! Am loving seeing where I grew up!

Will be sending you an email with some info re interior.

Margie

Unknown said...

Larry,
I have enjoyed reading about your travels...sounds pretty exiting! The pictures are great, could be around the Kafumba area. Take care and keep safe. The 2 weeks in the interior sound interesting.
James

Michael Steeves said...

Great photos! Nice to see Iain and get a view of things from an outsider. Sometimes when you are immersed in a situation, you don't realize what stands out to people who have not been there.