Sunday, February 3, 2008

Medan, Indonesia

Time is not all the same. Some experiences are longer than others. The morning starts with a 6:00 departure for the Palembang airport. Finding a relatively clean seat, in the gate area, the delays start-not bad, only 30 minutes. Descending into Jakarta (1 hour flight) the city is aflood in continuing rain. The inter-runway areas are a bog. Landing I see that my Jakarta-Medan flight (2 hour flight) is delayed. It's a cruel joke to delay 1 1/2 hours, delay again that amount of time, and then cancel the flight. Now what? Sitting in the gate area I begin a conversation with two Aussie gals from the Uni in Canberra. Anna and Shannon are in Indonesia for 4 weeks studying Indonesian and vacationing. Both of them speak a good Indonesian. We head to the "Executive Lounge" at a cost of $5. (How can an executive lounge look like the rest of the airport?) Finding some food, we wait. Anna thinks she hears something being said and leaves to make inquires about what's going to happen. With nothing being said over the speakers, how would we know that a flight has been re-instated, unless there is a continual asking. I know I'm traveling solo, and am aware of the need for caution. Then, I see these two young women who are enjoying, and anticipating, the new things upcoming. Anna asks if I would like to join them for the next few days. You bet! Anna's language skills will come in handy. And I have some company. I accept! Tomorrow we travel to Lake Toba, 5 hours by bus southwest of Medan. We will spend the night and then find our way to the orangutan refuges and more.

3 comments:

Among Worlds said...

Larry,
Another word to add to your Indonesian vocabulary: jam karat (rubber time). Seldom is anything exactly on-time there...

Sounds like you are having a good time!

Larry said...

I am having a great time. If I had known then what I know now, I would have take my full time allottment and stayed in Indo, all of it. This country, and the people, are addictive.
Larry

Among Worlds said...

You know...I tried to tell you that...but, it is hard to convince someone unless they experience it themself. So glad you are enjoying your time there. You ought to buy some "things" (like batik, a painting, carving, etc.) and mail it to yourself in the US (or to a mailing address where it would be safe) because one day you will want to have those as "memory-jumpers".