Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Where, oh where...

Tuesday, June 17, 08
Since my arrival, I have searched for Simanta Chatterje. He is of the Brahman caste and a dear friend of a friend. Today, I have been directed to an apartment 30 minutes walk from my Guest House. Arriving at the white 4 story building, I enter the gate and find the watchman. Yes, Simanta lives here. But, he has been in the Ashram Nursing Home (hospital) for the past 13 days. The Nursing Home is back along the waterfront, across the street from Park GH. So, I am told! This should be easy. 30 minutes later I arrive across from Park and find a building being renovated. With no English, a young man, carry a large plate of cement through the open gate, tells me it's 3 something that way. Three what? Streets, buildings... I walk a few buildings, till I find an open gate, and ask this watchman where? He points on down the street. Two blocks further and I ask 2 autorickshaw drivers. Continue on. One more block and I ask a policeman. No, back across from the GH. This time I'm taking no chances. Walking up to the reception desk at Park GH, I ask. Where? 3 buildings from here. Back I walk, slowly, counting, looking for something I had earlier missed. There, at the open gate, where I had earlier asked the watchman, is the sign of the Ashram on the inside wall. How could the watchman misunderstand me. This is how so many inquiries flow. If I spoke Tamil, all of this could be avoided.
Visiting hours are 4:00-7:00. Come back later! It's now past noon, too tired and too late for the Dining Hall, not wanting to walk the 15 minutes both ways, I sit at La Terrassee waiting for some lunch. That's my morning.

No comments: