Saturday, June 21, 2008

Detente

Saturday, June 21, 08
Two stories:
-Filing through the food line at the Dining Hall, I carry my tray to the 4 person tables which occupy the area closest to the outer courtyard. There, I find a table with 2 people sitting opposite each other, and a tray in the middle of the section which is to their right. Where is this man sitting? As I stand, confused, the tray owner, a short, stocky man in his 60s arrives with water. I ask him where he is seated. He continues through and sits facing the inside of the building. Ok, the only seat left is facing outward. More than 5, but less than 10, minutes later, he suddenly looks at me and begins, "Why did you want my seat?" My reply, "I didn't want your seat! The tray was in the middle and I didn't know where you were sitting." He points to the ceiling fan and seems to be indicating that my seat is the better one. I continue, "I didn't want to sit where you were sitting." He replies, "Thank You," with a blank look.
-Following breakfast, as is my habit, I take 2 small cups of black coffee in the Park GH canteen and read the local paper. The lady seated behind the register is in her 40s with orange highlights in her hair. Since I forgot to purchase a meal ticket for the Dining Hall, this morning's breakfast will be here. I order yogurt with papaya and my usual 2 cups of black coffee. The total is Rs 46. Flipping through my money clip I hand her a Rs 50 note. She holds it up and says it has a small tear on the top middle, and that she won't accept it. My reply is, "It's your money." "Did you get it here?" "It's your country's money!" "It passes through many hands" she finishes and hands it back. Well, then she will need to find change for a Rs 100 note.
There are times when East does not meet West. And ships do pass in the night!

1 comment:

neimye said...

Should have warned you, Larry, not to accept any ripped notes in India, because most of the time no-one will accept them from you. It's a strange phenomenon given the environment, but sometimes there's no understanding the reasons why....

Something like them spraying the whole inside of the plane and passengers when you first arrive there so you don't bring any germs into the country....do they still do that?