Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Simanta Chatterjee

It's 4:00, I'm standing at the watchman's small desk just inside the large gate which is the entrance to the Ashram Nursing Home. Waiting, as he pulls on his socks and shoes, a boredness fills the air. Shoes on, he points up the short stairs to the ground floor where I find nothing. No reception desk. No nurse. Where is Simanta? Walking through the hall I find a door open, Library/TV Room, reads the sign. Two women, dressed similarly, my guess is they are orderly, are flopped on a divan. I ask. They point upstairs and say, "1st floor." Through the sanitary halls, white walls and tile floors, I find the stairs and climb the short distance to the empty floor. I wait as a man is being wheeled into an elevator, another buzzes around giving instructions to a man on the stairs. As the instructions are completed, I try to sneak in a word. No good! He's off, not concerned with me. Waiting, looking around, I see a young girl with her arm bandaged, sitting in a large room with partitions. Stepping in, several staff look to be filling trays, offering water, and such things, I ask for help. The little girl brightens when I give the name. Leading me, she steps around the partition and points to a bed against the wall where a man is lying on his side. I approach, he sits up, and I know instantly, from photos, that I have found Simanta. He first, then I, bring our hands together in Namaste, and shake each other's hands with both pressed tightly. Saying that I am a friend of Robert's, and my name, he motions for me to sit next to him. He is frail, dark rings around his eyes, and tells of his bout with some fever. Graciously, as I see is his custom, he makes me feel welcome. We talk of friends, wishes, hopes, and am sent off to find a man named Bob who works in the Ashram Archives. But, not before I promise to return tomorrow. All I know of Bob is that he is tall. Tall Bob is located in Archives. Following a 30 minute search through the library and other such places he is located. A native of Wisconsin, Tall Bob and I sit at a table, drinking water, and become friends. Tomorrow, we will meet for a joint Simanta visit. 4:00!

No comments: