Thursday, June 26, 2008

St. Ives, UK

Thursday, June 26, 08
Suddenly, the mosquitoes are gone, a smoke detector appears in the room, clean walls, carpeting, order in traffic, manicured lawns, no filthy smells, clean, graffiti, curbs, plenty of power points, and feeling fat from being overfed. Welcome to the 1st world. No longer a gecko in the room to click at me. Streets which are deserted, not a car, pedestrian or dog. I have a knife and fork to feed myself. A spoon certainly allowed for volume bites.
All goes well at the Chennai airport, and throughout the flight - 10 1/2 hours. On the underground to Kings Cross Station, I ask, and find the train for Huntingdon. There, I have purchased the wrong ticket, which is pointed out to me by the Station Master checking tickets at the exit. Saying he needs to charge me for the balance, I agree. Then, walking to the turnstile, he places and turns a key. As the gate opens he says, "In favor of International Cooperation!" and lets me pass with a smile. Two pay phones, one on each side of the station door, are used to call John. Two phones because neither one of them will work properly. A woman, sitting on a bench, asks me which number I'm trying. As I repeat it, she dials and hands me her mobile phone. John's wife, Kay, answers saying John is on his way. St. Ives is only a few miles up the road. My room is upstairs in a three bedroom house on the edge of town.
Sleep comes easy. Yet, I'm up long before anyone else. After breakfast, John and I walk into town for some shopping. He has some insurance issues with a local company. I want to look for several long sleeved shirts. One, found in a thrift store, costs me £3, and I'm feeling in style, again. Riding the train, I felt conspicuously out of place with my travel worn clothes. Dressed in my dark red shirt and Bangkok long shorts, I was woefully 3rd world dressed.
Walking along the Great Ouse, the river which cuts through the town, we cross the bridge and enjoy talk and companionship. How was Vietnam? What about Laos? Pictures follow when we return home. A schedule is being planned for the days ahead, York, Cambridge, London. And lots of relaxing. Rain is beginning to fall, it is 7:30 pm, and the evening is settling in. I'm feeling the effects of jet lag and will need an early bedtime.

No comments: