Sunday, June 15, 2008

Park Guest House, Pondy

Sunday, June 15, 08
A three and four story complex set 100 ft from the crashing waves of the Bay of Bengal, Park GH is part of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram, as was International GH. It is not set up to make or lose money. It's existence rests in being available to the Ashramites, and travellers like me. Cost? Bottom floor is Rs 200 ($5)/night. The other floors are double this. My room, 42, is on the bottom toward the middle. Out my room, between me and the crashing waves of the ocean, is a small porch, a walkway, a slender garden, a 5 ft fence and another walkway. One special addition, over that of International GH, is a canteen where I can sit with the paper and a cup of coffee. Snacks can also be purchased, as well as a simple breakfast. Out the left side is a large gate, a children's park, a community bathroom and I'm a short walk to the ocean. I would say beach, but there isn't any. 30-40 years ago there was a large beach and one could wade out on a sloping bottom for 1 km. For the past 10 years this has disappeared. All of it! No one quite knows why. The city has brought in large rocks to stop the erosion. That now is the Pondy waterfront.
Laundry is picked up and turned in between 8:30-9:30, and must be paid for upon retrieval. No cleaning of the room is done without the guest's presence. There must have been an incident for such a policy to be enacted.
The room has 2 twin beds, bathroom, cold water, a small closet where I can secure my valuables and sundry shelves, tables and chairs. Tile floors throughout. With no screens, bugs and mosquitoes fly freely. A net, for night, is imperative. As soon as I can stop the Doxycycline, mosquito prophylaxis, I certainly will. The main side effect is light sensitivity. Although I smear 50 SPF sun block every morning, I still am experiencing a redness every now and again.
Guests are only allowed in the meeting room between 3:30-6:00, and the gate closes tightly at 10:30 PM.
The ocean breezes help to lessen the effects of the still warm summer, especially during the evening. Although the temperature isn't what it was 2 weeks ago, it's still warm. A very pleasant GH.
Today is Father's Day. I wouldn't have known it except that I called my son Matt and he wished it on me. And an email from son Andrew. Where, oh where is third son Steven?

1 comment:

Among Worlds said...

Happy Father's Day, Larry! Hopefully by now you have heard from all 3 of your boys - wishing you the best of today! :-)