Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hebron

If there is one part of this trip which stands out for me, it is the visiting of the schools where friends have spent time. These have the unique distinction of being missionary boarding schools. Hebron is one of these, located, so many years ago, in Coonoor, India. Now, it is a boarding spot for orphaned children. Driving through the large, circular, moon gate, we stop at the office. Yes, they will be very happy to let me wander, with a guide. Pictures all around, till my batteries run out. Why don't I remember to bring extras? I can hear the patter of small feet, the games on the courts, the swimmers in the pool and bathers on the cool deck and so much more. Stepping into the dorms brings back especially poignant visions and memories. The bunk bed, thin mattress, little privacy, games, some in fun, others not, house parents, some parent-like, others with a grudge. My own memories inter-mingle with those present. How did so many fit into such small spaces? On a partition are clothes in their appropriate boxes. These could have been placed there for Joan or Pat. This is part of their story, and mine. Time has stopped!
Hebron pics:http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/musungi/Hebron

3 comments:

neimye said...

Larry - you made me cry.

I took the liberty of adding comments to all your Hebron photos.

Beth said...

Wow -- Larry -- do you really feel all of our presence as you go through the places we lived? I can't imagine doing this in Africa where so many on this list have been -- yet this Asia journey seems so connected. How very cool.
Beth

Beth said...

PS -- I spent the evening Tuesday with the Sjobloms -- Phyllis, Sharon, Carolyn, Mark and Bill. They all went to Dalat -- in VietNam and in Malaysia. Bill and Mark went to Faith in Manilla too. Their mom went to Che Foo in China in the 30s (?) but yeah -- 2nd generation MKs. I grew up admiring them and so looking forward to going to Dalat myself some day. They were talking about how parts were hard, but overall they loved the privilege of the life we all have known. It is really cool.