Friday, June 6, 2008

Lake Kodai

Friday, June 6, 08
Breakfast is at a vegetarian restaurant - vadai, idli, and coffee. One thing my system is not used to, all the sugar. There is sugar is everything, and lots in the chai and coffee. I love a lemon soda. But, again, sugar.
Milan and I decide that today is a do nothing day. We walk to the lake and bargain with a man in a row boat. How much? He quotes us rs 100 for 30 minutes. Milan gets him to agree to the same amount for one hour. The agreement made, Milan and I step into the row boat. Then begins the moaning. The boatman is angry with us for having bargained him down and says he should be charging over twice the amount. Then, he exits the boat, says he has other things to do, and leaves us in the charge of a 15 year old boy who struggles with the oars. So it goes! Lotus, the mist on the lake, families together in paddle boats fills our hour. At the bank, the boatman holds the boat as we step ashore. Milan hands him the agreed on amount as the boatman asks where the money is for the boy. Milan responds that the rs 100 belongs to him. The boat leaves with an angry, still angry, boatman. Later, as we walk to the Kodai Boat Club canteen, I hand the boy rs 10 without the old man seeing.
Staying at the canteen till 12:30, we lake and people watch - lemon tea. Flies are everywhere.
Lunch is again at the Punjabi restaurant - black pepper chicken and garlic chicken curry, rice, and nan.
The afternoon, I walk to the Kodai International School and ask for a tour. Hurried to the Admissions Office, I find it occupied by one woman who says there isn't anyone to help me. Then, she calls the watchman and asks him to fill in. He does. It turns out that he knew my cousin Paul who worked at the school during the early 70s. What a stroke of luck. Instead of a hurry through, he takes me around, as the rain chases us between buildings and walkways, and shows all I want to see. Unfortunately, my camera batteries run out toward the end. But, it is grand to have found such a knowledgeable guide. The rain has stopped and the sky has cleared. Coolness is in the air. Pictures tomorrow

No comments: