Monday, May 12, 2008

Phnom Penh to Chennai

Monday, May 12, 08
A rookie mistake! I have read the flight # as flight time and am at the Phnom Penh airport much to early. sitting, a couple working with a Lutheran social group begins a conversation. They are flying into Laos for a few days of vacation and work in a village in what they term communications. When they leave, three monks, all in their twenties, come to sit and also begin a conversation. Handing me a stick of gum, the one says they are heading to Myanmar to pay homage to the Buddha. Then, we talk about Cambodia, why I'm traveling, what did I like about Angkor Wat, what colors they may wear... Having never flown, they are nervous and ask about a boarding pass. People stop by, remove their sandals and bow, some kneel and show respect. For my part, they have left too soon.
Cambodia is so funny! It costs me more to leave the country than to enter - another profit center. They must want me to stay. And, whether the US government knows it or not,
ATMs spill out USD, not the local Real.
Backtrack - Yesterday's haircut - It's been many decades since I've had my hair this short and longer since it was cut with a hand clipper. First, the barber worked with a comb and scissors. Then, the hand clipper, not as I remember it, left me with memories of my Dad. My Dad must have had a dull clipper because this one never yanked or pulled my hair out, as is my memory. Tensing my shoulders against the pulling, I relaxed to the smooth and silk flow of the current. Following that, he used a straight edge on the sideburns and all around. Removing the covering around me, he gives me brief shoulder squeezes and pounds my back. Ah, that's it! $1, please. He received a hefty tip.
Malaysia Airlines - never have I flown this one. I grab a sickness bag for Garry's collection. It will join the others - Cathay Pacific, Garuda, AirAsia, AirPNG, AirNuigini, Trigana, and Qantas. Does MAF have a bag? Oh, it was a plastic bag. We begin a descent and break through the clouds. I will transit through Kuala Lumpur, the fourth time. Malay sounds familiar. And, I am back to the Roman alphabet, mosques and head scarves. In Malaysia, the spread of 3rd worldness is apparent. This is a modern country compared with Cambodia - not better, easier to negotiate. Or it may be that I was here for an extended period of time. I expected to be where I always have flown into. No, this is the new airport. Asia is building new airports and so divides between budget and regular paying airlines. As I deplane and walk to gate C35, I am pursued by 3 young Khmer women calling, "Mista, Mista". One hands me a piece of paper with Malay and English writing. They came in with me from Phnom Penh. The note asks me to help them to their gate. I gesture for their ticket and find the gate - A2. There is an A + B sign pointing downstairs. Taking them to where the escalator will deposit them at the correct spot, I hold up 2 fingers and say two. We place our hands together in a thank you, and the threesome, happy, step onto the downward motorized stairs. I continue on to C35 via train.
I packed the right shirts and am wearing the wrong one. It's smelling a wee bit ripe. No way to change as the backpack is checked. There is a blue T-shirt I picked up in Katherine, Australia which I will trade with.
Health - I have a sinus congestion which has dogged me for the past 4 days. It hasn't gone either direction and doesn't bother me as such. My new flip flops have rubbed a small sore on the top of each foot. Bandaids work just fine.
Chennai, India, formerly Madras - We left Phnom Penh in rain and arrive in a sprinkle. Traffic is loud, fumes, a constant honk and yet, it works. I'm at the Hotel Pandian, standard room. I booked it on the net and took a prepaid taxi after working through customs and immigration. The room isn't fancy, but adequate. Another system to figure out. None of my wall plugs work here so that's a find and purchase item. The airport taxi was a government prepaid set price. Except, instead of 300 rupees, he charged me only 270. I tipped him 10 and the driver 20. All are happy! (40 rupees=$1USD) Milan comes to collect me tomorrow and we drive to Pondicherry. (Milan will be introduced later.)
Cambodia has left me with many large mosquito welts. Here, there is a mosquito repellent dispenser plugged in over the bed. I'll give it a try. Still, I have plenty of spray if it doesn't. India!

No comments: