Saturday, May 17, 2008

Manakula Vinayaku/Samadhi

17/05/08 PM
Following dinner, 8:30, I walk north toward the Samadhi of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother. These are the names of a famous yogi and his wife. The central courtyard of the main Ashram building has a flower-festooned samadi (memorial) of Sri Aurobindo and the Mother under a frangipani tree. On the way, I pass the Manakula Vinayakau, the famous 18th century shrine of Lord Ganesha - elephant god. An elephant is taking food with his trunk then tapping, or running his trunk, over the heads in blessing. The food is purchased for a donation nearby. At an intersection, 50 ft. away, a holy man is blessing vehicles. I ask a bystander who says that a token is purchased from close to the shrine, 40 rupee for a car, 15 rupee for a motorbike. The holy man keeps a fire burning on a tray and walks around and in the car touching it with blessing. Then, he places a "dot" of red coloring on the drivers concerned and the vehicle is driven over lemons. Walking on, I enter the grounds of the Samadhi. Removing my flip flops, as is customary in virtually every house, I sit against the wall and observe the devotees at the memorial (A white marble rectangular slab app. 6 ftX15 ft). The entire surface is covered in an array of flowers spread in specific order. Devotees touch the memorial with their foreheads. Touching the flowers, they bring their fingers to their head, eyes, hair, chin... Moving around the memorial this may be repeated. A large frangipani tree is on the backside which is also touched and leaned against. Around teh outside, seated in meditation, are 40-50 others. Incense sticks are being placed in the large holder on the opposite side as the tree. The smoke from the incense bathes all around giving it a sense of floating. This is the only spot in town which is quiet.
I return to my room and find it too hot. Next to me is a German woman who returns home in two days. I may ask for her room. Mine has an outside wall which receives sun all day. Hers must be cooler. If I stay it will be because of the 4 inch gecko who has claimed the room. No bothers! He's quite cute and eats mosquitoes.

No comments: