Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Going Postal

Tuesday, May 27, 08
Here in India, I've broken a personal travel rule. Possibly, it's because I know this is the last stop, and I don't need to carry what I buy. Or, it's my nature. But, I've picked up books to read, a mug, and other heavy things. Not having the backpack space, I have decided to send a package. Checking at the Post Office, several days ago, I know the limits and will be well within. I approach the Post Office door with my cloth wrapped, 10"X10"X12", addressed box, my mother's address in the to and from spots, feeling fairly confident I can negotiate this process. Milan has forewarned me that the clerks may not speak my English. The lobby is narrow and long with small booths where postal clerks are seated behind short glass dividers. There, a lady frees up at the first booth. Advancing, I ask how I send this package to the US. We stare at each other for a time, then she points behind her. Seeing nothing but packages, I wait. She leads me behind the packages to a floor scale. Package on the scale, she writes 6.39 (kg) in the weight spot of a form and returns to her chair. OK? After half a minute, I walk to the front of the booth and ask what happens now? Waiting a while, computing my confused look, the clerk leads me back to the scale, points to the package, and points to the lobby. Now, I understand that. But, what do I do with the package from this point? Our eyes meet with no communication. Finally, I decide that I should fill out the rest of the form. That done, I return to her window. She points to the form and the front of my package and says "Tape". OK, I understand this, but why? Why would the form go on the front when the address is already on the top in black marker? Looking at the form I see it is a Custom's Declaration. That solved, I look around wondering if this service, tape for a fee, is here or elsewhere. Seeing no tape, or anyone with that inclination, I shrug my shoulders, give her a figure 8 head shake and leave not having accomplished a very simple task. Too much for one day, which was only 10 minutes. Tomorrow!

No comments: