Sunday, May 4, 2008

Lopburi to Bangkok

Sunday, May 4, 08
Up at 7:15, I am sitting in my commuter train seat by 7:40, shower but no shave. This place is known for the monkeys which inhabit the ruins. But, I bypassed them, didn't go past the ruins, did not give them a chance to take my hat, and came straight here.
The train ride leaves the station at 8:00. Across from me is a young Thai woman who really tries hard to practice her English. Curing the 2 1/2 ride to Bangkok, we have many opportunities to laugh, she isn't making herself understood, and neither am I. She exits the train on the outskirts of Bangkok headed to an appointment to have her teeth checked, she is wearing braces.
Calling John, he has been in town since yesterday, we arrange a rendez-vous and find an adequate spot several blocks off of Khao San Rd.
I ask if we could take a river cruise? Sure! It amounts to taking the local "river taxi," a boat which runs through the heart of Bangkok on Chao Phraya, the river through the heart of Bangkok. Up and back, and we are available to meet John's son, Stewart, and girlfriend, Claire, on Khao San. There we arrange our Tuesday bus ride to Cambodia. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will retrieve my passport with an India visa.
I will post the Chao Phraya pictures then.

No comments: