Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Benevolent Love

27/05/08 PM
At 6:30, while walking to the ocean front, I turn a corner on a busy street and witness a man lying on the center line pushing himself in circles with his left foot. At first, I think this may be a beggar. Quickly, it becomes apparent this is a man in distress. How do I respond in this culture? I knew how to respond in Kanchanaburi, Thailand, when Mark Thomas was in need of help. All walk past except one. Closing in on the scene, I see him directing traffic around the flailing sufferer. Now a second man has joined the first. While the first still directs traffic, the second kneels and looks at the sufferer. Passersby are collecting, all looking, an oddity, no one responding. From across the street, I stand as a heavy set man stands next to me. I say, He's having a seizure. Yes, he responds, I think so. The man leaning over the sufferer now has decided to pull or help him to the curb. As the seizure lessens, after some long minutes, the heavy set man looks about to leave. I say, He needs medical care. Yes, is the response. Should we possibly solicit the help of the tuk tuk driver? I ask and point to a vehicle only 20 ft away. No, is the reply. There is a clinic around the corner. He can walk there. With that he makes one more comment, Looks like he's better, and leaves. By now the sufferer is at the curb and is beginning to come around. 12-15 lookers on do just that as two men pull him onto the sidewalk. For the next 20 minutes I stand frozen in my flip flops waiting to see if someone will offer help. I don't know what is said. But finally, the crowd has dwindled to one and I leave. Returning 45 minutes later, the sufferer is gone.
This experience will take much time to process...

No comments: