Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Decision making

Tuesday, May 20, 08
How does one know what is right for the moment? In Christian thought we refer to this as "Knowing the Will of God". In me, it usually begins as an unease. Locating the source of the unease leads to then process through and find an answer. Should I leave the calm and restfullness of India to volunteer to help the cyclone victims in Myanmar? (I've most often still heard it called Burma) This is the question. I have proximity, energy, and time. I have opportunity. There is a falsehood which often is accepted, "If I can, I should!" Although I agree that this is sometimes true, it is also as true that this is a heresy. The difficulty of such a decision comes in that this is seldom only a question of capability. This decision is already known. It's the removal of that which covers it so it can be revealed. Sitting with the question for 2 hours, I have found the response to be - No! All decisions have elements of for and against. This decison is for rest, for calm. Each of these decisions are specifically designed for the asker. What others will choose is not relevant. For now, I will remain in India.
There is another question which has been answered. I will not continue to Africa. July 1, I am returning to California. Africa will have to wait.

1 comment:

Michael Steeves said...

Sorry to hear that you are skipping Africa. I can't imagine being away from home for so long as it is!

Hope you make it back -- perhaps after we get back to Kenya.

Michael