Sunday, April 6, 2008

Ukarumpa, again

Monday, April 7, 08
Keeping my knee and shin salved and wrapped has been a main concern of mine. Infection is so prevalent. These tropics are unforgiving. My med supply has been restocked - thyroid and bp meds, gauze and adhesive, one added month of malaria prophylaxis, and a malaria cure. There, I'm now supplied till Bangkok, where I will again hope to find additions. Meds and the need of care is one of the reasons I am doing the walkabout now rather than later when such issues may intensify.
The natives have become increasingly restless. There has been fighting, again in the area around the compound, with the small police force in Kainantu being sequestered in its buildings. There is an attempt to run them out of town. Lawlessness is near the surface. Shops have been closed. Tomorrow, I am to leave for Lae and points beyond. Bill and I have decided to start early, 5:30 am. Martha, Paige (7), and Emma (2) Simpson were to join us on this excursion to Lae. But, they will remain. As I leave, Martha's father and his wife are arriving for a visit. Good timing for me!
Bill and I have laughed over the arrow incident. Here I am, a Congo MK who has lived through some dangerous times in that unsettled country, and yet, I have to come to PNG to get shot with an arrow. Jeez!
More from Lae

No comments: