Friday, April 11, 2008

Singapore to Melaka

Friday, April 11, 08
Not knowing how to get out of town, without a map, I find an American businessman, who lives in Singapore, eating breakfast at the McDonald's 2 blocks from the hostel. He gives me directions to a spot where buses run into Malaysia. Collecting my bags, after a fine conversation with a young Brit attending the Uni in Newcastle, AU, my German roomies still asleep, I find my way along a slippery sidewalk. At the designated spot, there are no buses running to Malaysia. They all left at 8:30. It's 10:00. But, if I take a short taxi ride to another spot, there I may find what I want. I take the $2 taxi ride and find myself deposited in the midst of 10 buses. One says, Melaka. Oh, I've struck the mother lode. A German woman is buying her ticket in front of me. She is wanting to travel to Kuala Lumpur and says she is doing a "Couchstay". This a site where you hook up with people who allow you to stay on their couch for up to a week. Her name is Melanie, 19, and traveling till the 17th. Since it's the same bus, Melaka or Kuala Lumpur, I ask her to save me a spot, as I head, once more, to the toilet since there are no facilities on the bus. We talk the 4 1/2 hours, enjoying a rest in between, and say good-bye at the Melaka Central Station. Finding bus 17, I tell the driver to let me know when we arrive at Town Square. He does, and I exit. Asking a taxi driver, I find my way to the Sama Sama Hostel where there is no room. But, continuing up the street, several blocks, I find another hostel, can't remember the name right now, in China town. Walking down a long hall, a woman is playing with her baby. Do you have room? Only a 4 bed room at 60 ringgit - $20. We begin to walk to the street, where she is to point out the next possible hostel. Standing at the receptionist's desk is a Brit, my age, who asks if she has a room. Yes, I say, if you want to share a room. Sure! John Peatman, from Cambridge, UK, is happy to share. We accept! He says he is headed to the middle of the country where he hopes to take a mail train up to the very Eastern point, on the ocean. In between, we will most likely stop at Taman Negara, the oldest forest in the world. This is how IT happens. A plan is established. And then, if you are willing, an opportunity presents itself. With nothing but an airfare out of Langkwai on April 24, I am free to negotiate the interval.

No comments: