Friday, April 11, 2008

Lae to Port Moresby

Wednesday, April 9, 08
At the Lae airport, Bill sees me through the gate at 12:45 and will wait for Martha's father and wife to arrive some time late afternoon - back on my own. Outside the airport waiting room window the kites still fly. The plane is 20 minutes late - on time for PNG
Now, in Port Moresby, this city is not visitor friendly - no walking around at night, so there is no eating out after dark, unless you want to brave the rascals. As I walk around the general area of the hotel (Comfort Inn), I step alongside a police Toyota Hi-Lux and ask if they know where I can find an Internet Cafe. No! One reeks of alcohol and the other is chewing betelnut and tells me to unstrap my digital camera from my belt. I place it in my pocket. the population feels tense. I keep a close check on people around me and those intersecting. There aren't many options for lodging and certainly, after dark, unless by taxi or personal car, I am locked into this location. My room, expensive by 3rd world standards, has only a common bathroom. But, I do have cable. No soap. No towel. Bill and I laughed a lot and enjoyed the time together. I don't have any pictures of Port Moresby because I don't want to draw attention.

No comments: