Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Wednesday, April 30, 08
Waiting for the rain to stop, it doesn't, I hurry to my lodging where I pick up my backpacks, find a tuk tuk and arrive at the train station - 6:59 PM.
7:42 - Train pulls from the station. I am berthed with a family of 5 from Holland - 3 boys ages 17, 15 and 11). The berths are seats turned into sleeping compartments. I have a top berth, somewhat narrower than the bottom. Security is tight. Each coach has a monitor and helper. Lurch, jerk, bump, bump, toot, lurch, lurch, on we go. At first, I'm not sure I'll sleep. But, the rhythm is magical and soon it's 5:45 AM - wake up call. Beds are returned to seating compartments and breakfast is served. I sit with 2 Canadian young men from Halifax and Newfoundland, here for a 1 month Thailand extravaganza. This is their 3rd day and they are still jet lagged. Arriving in Chiang Mai railway station, I take a tuk tuk to a guest house which the Lonely Planet book series has indicated is a good one. Rain has greeted me upon arrival at the train station and continues to follow me as I drop my bags under a covered eating area. Waiting for the desk to open, I notice 11 others flopped about. Now, 5 more have arrived. Time to leave! A German couple and I intersect and walk together for 10 blocks. They continue on to SK House while I back track finding Montra House - D3 for 200 B/night. A shower, cup of coffee and then, across the street is the Dutch family I rode with overnight. I cross, we chat and I leave for some food. Visiting two pharmacies I get the drugs I'm taking, Cardura and Synthroid and am informed that Doxycycline, malaria prophylaxis, is all Thailand offers. I was looking for Malerone. Everyone has heard about the cheap drugs overseas? Here's where such talk begins. In addition, no scripts are needed. I buy a good supply. The problems I've been having with my Synthroid replacement since Ukarumpa, the drug had to be kept cold, is no more. No need for ice packs and looking for frigs. Still needing to take the Doxycycline for malaria prevention, I will switch taking it to the evening on a full stomach.
When caught in a downpour, mercy is shown to all - motorbikes stop as riders hurry for cover and pedestrians, me included, duck under overhangs or wait it out in shops. It's short-lived. Most are over in 15 minutes or less, until the next one.
Walking the city moat and walls, I buy some tangerines and head home, happening again on the Dutch family who has booked their tour for tomorrow and the next.
No tours for me. Rather, I will take a taxi, or tuk tuk to what I want to see.

No comments: