Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Pantai Cenang, Langkawi, Malaysia

Wednesday, April 23, 08
Last evening, I found that a group of Western men is staying, and has taken up residence in the 75 Traveller's Lodge, where I am staying. A Canadian, two Brits and an Aussie. They pay 10 ringgit/night and crowd into a 10 bed room. Dan, the Canadian, and I go to Little India where we have a pancake and vegetarian sauces. 2 cups of Chai. Back at the lobby everyone talks of travels and watches one hour of the history channel. Toward 9:00, I mention that I have Indonesian rupiah which I would like to trade into Thai Baht. They direct me several blocks away to a money changer who gives me a very good rate. Now, when I land in Bangkok, I will have some local money.
At 6:15 AM, I rise and am out the door at 6:30. Downstairs I find the lobby again occupied by an internet user and management cleaning up. Walking the distance to the pier, I am the first one here. Boarding an enclosed ferry at 7:30. Across from me is a couple from Holland on a 17 day pre-paid tour of Kuala Lumpur, Penang, and Langkawi. This time, I'm sitting on the lower level - weather is sunny, no high seas. A movie is being shown, Rambo.
8:30 departure - 11:15 arrival in Langkawi, which is an island off the Malaysian coast, just south of Thailand. Kuah has the largest population on this small island. 99 islands are in this group of which only 2-3 are inhabited. Kuah is the port of entry so I need to find a taxi, there is no public transportation, to Pantai Cenang, a 30 minute ride - 20 ringgit. Beach towns dot the area with Cenang being the most sought after by tourists. It's also nearest to the airport, that will be important tomorrow morning. I tell the driver I want the Gecko Guesthouse. Here I am, 30 ringgit a night which buys me a private room, fan, and common bathroom/shower. I'm three rows of houses and one street from the beach.
Malay terms: Pulau = Island, Pantai = Beach.
Checking in at the Guesthouse reception counter, a monkey, Nina, bears watching. She wants my hat, book... She's not picky. She'll take anything. After harassing me, Nina moves on to pick at the black cat.
At the beach, shadows hover then, race over the beach and Sea - Andaman Sea. It looks like rain is approaching. It's not crowded. A para sailing boat is raising a fool into the air while another pulls a banana boat of 5 riders. Cabanas and volleyball nets line the back side of the beach. A juice bar serves me a tasty mango drink. I am conspicuously overdressed - especially considering the speedo clad European men. Three Wave Runners park nearby waiting for customers. A room, on the beach, goes for $20/night. Cheap enough! The green Sea crashes gently. This island is protected by Sumatra directly to the West, so it did not experience the full impact of the tsunami which devastated so much of the area north, and Sumatra itself. The outer islands were hit harder, but no one was killed or much property damaged.
I sign up for a BBQ this evening at 8:00, and order another fruit drink.
Health: I am feeling very fortunate about my skinned knee and shin. The knee healed within 10 days. For the first time today, my shin is no longer infected and appears to be healing, and no more stomach ailments.
Tomorrow is another plane ride - Bangkok.

No comments: