Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Back to Penang

Tuesday, April 22, 08
Death to cockroaches! I again team up with Larry and Darcy for dinner and talk. This evening, a proper shower before retiring.
7:30 AM, I'm at the station to catch a VIP bus to Butterworth. There is no VIP bus. It has been lumped into a regular one leaving at 8:30 - so it goes. 9:00, we leave the station in the close relative to the bus which brought me here. But, this time it's mostly downhill - we're in our element. At 10:00, what I knew would eventually catch up with bus riding, does. There is a monologue, from my bladder, telling me of a growing concern. With an hour to go till Ipoh, I try everything, crossing my legs, humming, attempts at every form of distraction. I think I can! I think I can! Should I ask the driver to pull over? I watch the km markers ticking past on the right side of the road - 28, 22. Is that red plastic bucket, next to the driver, a possible emergency plan? OH, we're in the teens. No bladder should be required to work this amount of overtime. 13! And then, into the station. Thank you Jesus! I've been here before and know the way to the nearest toilet. .20 ringgit are asked for and gladly paid. I thought I could! I thought I could! Hungry for some chocolate, I can only find a Hazelnut Cadbury, but snatch it up. Peanuts, too. NO water!
11:45, Our Kurina Bistari Express leaves Ipoh. I'll de-bus in Butterworth and ferry across, like last time.
Sitting next to me from Ipoh to Butterworth is a young Malay man. We share my peanuts. No conversation is necessary.
A 5 minute rest stop and the driver begins pulling out. Oh, one passenger is forgotten in the women's toilet - thank goodness her husband was paying attention. The driver howls, the delinquent woman hurries over, and we continue on.
Back on Penang, I buy my ferry ticket for tomorrow's ride to Langkawi. After that infamous ride from Brunei to KK, I had sworn off ferries. But, this is the Melaka Straits, that was the South China Sea, with the water much calmer. Hopefully, it stays that way. I have an 18 ringgit room to myself, fan, sink, shared bathroom and shower, one hour free internet, and lots of conversation, if it's wanted. Relaxing is the requirement of the day.

Yesterday, I talked of the Jade Vine - Blue Butterfly flower and didn't even post it on the pictures. Here it is:

1 comment:

Among Worlds said...

I don't think I have ever seen one of those plants before! Will have to look it up on the internet. Thanks for posting a picture of the plant - it is VERY different!