Friday, April 4, 2008

Madang, PNG

Friday, April 4, 08
I wish there were a way to record the bird calls and songs. The sounds are so unusual. Each country, and region, has its own. Here, only in Madang are found the Crown Victoria Pigeons.
The manager has several in a large cage. Their headdress is stunning. No pictures till I return to Ukarumpa, which is tomorrow.
We sleep over the rusty pull aside car gate which makes a grating sound till 11:00 PM. Our breakfast has been ordered for 7:00 - 3 eggs, toast, non-salty ham, coffee. We are excited to see a French press placed on the table till we find that it is filled with instant Nescafe - jokers. After a cold shower, we are ready for a tour around town, get tonight's lodging figured out, and swim. Bill and I are both low on cash and need to find an ATM. I'm down to 110 Kina, $35.
Jais Aben is a resort 15 km out of town, on the ocean. Our room, #6, is 15 meters from the ocean where king fishers swoop. Snorkeling and diving are available, a BBQ hut for burgers and the mail building, very open, which has a bar and eating area, as well as reception and offices. This will cost us $30/night - cheap for a room in paradise. A fan, no ac, bathroom with hot shower, mini-frig and 2 beds make the room cozy.
At 10:00, we head to town looking for a phone so I can call the US. My debit/credit card has again been blocked by watchful B of A employees. I can't retrieve any cash without calling them. But tries at several places bring no success. We must be dialing wrong even though we are following instructions from the phone people themselves. After a milkshake at the Madang Resort, best place to stay in town, we head back to Jais Aben and try phoning here. Still no luck! Tomorrow! Lunch is a cheeseburger and fries at the BBQ hut. Oh, we're eating good.
Bill takes a long nap as I make a blog entry and sit watching the ocean, breezes keeping me cool in this high humidity.
There are few restrictions - no speed limit and no "You can't go there". Jump into the ocean where you want and swim where you want. But, with no lifeguards, you're on your own.
Praise Jesus!! At 3:30, I get through to a B of A operator who cleans up the blockage of my account. I'm celebrating with a Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale. From PNG, it appears, there is no connection possible to an 800 number. My connection was made when I called a special number on my card, small bottom left corner, which sent me to a non-800. This number is set up for only overseas calls with this type of restriction. How would I know such a thing?
Napping and swimming round off the day. dinner is soup and garlic bread. PNG cuisine you ask? What determines PNG cuisine answers this question, "Does it fill my stomach?" Sweet potatoes, greens, rice and anything that answers that question is in. Bill orders some fruit but leaves to try and sleep off a bug - a brother but to what I had 2 days ago. But, sleep is what is not allowed. Even though we have a ceiling fan, it isn't used due to Bill's feeling ill. Rain starts around 9:00 and continues till morning. By day break I have pulled a sheet over me. The ocean laps and crashes intermittently as the night continues - nature is gently wrapping its large arms of warmth and communion around us.

1 comment:

Among Worlds said...

OK - now you know why I love the sound of the ocean! I am so jealous reading of your stay there over the ocean!!!!! Can't wait to see the photos.