Saturday, April 26, 2008

Mark and Ian Thomas

Soon after arriving in Kanchanaburi, and locating my lodging, while sitting at an outside counter, drinking my two glasses of iced coffee (check timeline of event with previous post), I notice a happening two tables away. Identified later as Mark and Ian, brothers from UK living in Thailand, Ian is holding Mark's shoulders as Mark's head slumps lower and lower onto the table. Is he chocking, since they are eating? No! Paying quickly, I walk over to offer assistance. Ian is unable to make logical decisions, while the restaurant staff isn't grasping the gravity of what is happening, and takes a lengthy time bringing a wet towel. Bringing Mark's head up, I see that his eyes are fixed. I remember a rapid conversation with myself to keep my head and think. Telling Ian we need medical assistance, hospital, I slap Mark's face, he begins blinking. I must here admit I have no medical training. Ian and Mark live along the coast and have been here for a few days R+R. They have a car. Three of us place Mark in the back seat. Ian drives. A young restaurant worker climbs in beside him to direct us to the hospital, as I sit in the back seat with Mark's head in my lap running the wet towel over his face, head and neck. Hurry, I tell Ian. How far, I ask the young Thai man. Hurry, as Mark twice goes into convulsions. Talking softly to Mark, hoping to keep him conscious, we race on. Why is it that time passes so slowly when you desperately want it to speed along. Hospital, turn left. Here we are! Staff arrives with a wheelchair as Mark regains some of his faculties. With directions of where to find the medication Mark is taking, HP medication, Ian retrieves the pills and the nurse on staff is grateful. Mark is talking to the nurse. Ian offers to take the Thai and me back to the coffee shop. As we part, he shakes my hand and says thank you. That is part of being human, I respond. We part. Homeward bound, to wash my face, I notice the laughter from a cafe and am struck with the fact that life goes on. Something dramatic just happened and virtually no one is aware of it. So it is, we step into the darkness with strangers and create a bond which is life changing. Two days ago, an angel helped me locate lodging in Bangkok. Today, an angel stepped alongside Mark and Ian Thomas.

1 comment:

Among Worlds said...

Wow...That is it...WOW!

MU