Thursday, April 24, 2008

Langkawi to Bangkok

Thursday, April 24, 08
The BBQ is grilled fish, Satay, chicken, salads and fruit for dessert. Before dinner, as I did this afternoon, I don't swim but am a beach comber. The sun dips behind some clouds and the island just off the coasts, and the lights of restaurants and fires on the beach, in the bright moon, bring me back to my dinner spot. Sitting on the beach, we eat and are serenaded by the cooks. Across from me is Wolfgang here from Germany on vacation. Others sing along and clap.
Here, as in Penang, no sheet or blanket are supplied. I'm happy for my sarong to cover.
Sitting in the open meeting/eating area, 7:26 AM, it finally rains after the threaten of thunder and lightning for the past hour. the percussion section is in full swing. My taxi, for the airport, is schedule for 7:45 - flight is 9:35 to KL and on to Bangkok at 1:30. Windshield wipers on full, they are in need of a change, the taxi man and I make small talk to the Langkawi airport. There, I find I am in the AirAsia system for my flight to KL, but not for my flight to Bangkok. I resolve that when the AirAsia office opens. Check-in, back pack weighs 11kg, belly bag 5.
Back in KL airport, I treat myself to a cappucchino and some lunch.
KL to Bangkok I'm sitting next to a Kiwi, Floyd, who is on a short business trip to KL, Bangkok and Phnom Penh.
Buying a ticket on the airport bus into the center of Bangkok, I step off at the crowded Khao San Road. Not knowing where I am, I watch and see a man I can trust. He is early 20s, and turns out to be an American from Oregon. He leads me to where he is staying, Sawasdee Smile Inn, where I have a room for 240 baht ($1=around 37 baht). My angel disappears before I can thank him. The room is on an interior wall so it is cooler. I have a private room, soap, fan, common bathroom/shower, and toilet paper. Yes, you heard me, TP. Heading out to check into a visa for India, I am informed that it will cost me right at $100 and take 7 working days. That will change my plans, however I will do more day trips out of Bangkok. Or take two days and return. I still hope to get into Laos before my Cambodia jaunt. We'll see! A Thai sim card will help keep in touch with US and John, with whom I traveled Malaysia. Hopefully, we can reconnect and share Cambodia together. It's dark, already a thunderstorm went through the city, and I'm beginning to get a feel of the place. Every country has its system. How will Thailand be? I will attempt to post some pictures tomorrow.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Mmm -- can't wait to hear what your experience in Thailand will be. Not that BKK is my favorite part of the country. Be sure and say Hi to Robert for me. Now I'm wishing I was there too.

Beth