Friday, March 14, 2008

Holuwon - Thurs., March 6, 08

Yariut comes in whistling and singing a happy tune. It's 6:30. Looks like his leg infection has let up. Our routine is that I lock the house when he leaves after dinner. Last night was only a banana and a cup of coffee since we ate so much at lunch. Then, around first light, 5:15, I rise to unlock the kitchen door. He enters around 6:30, starts a fire which signals breakfast is soon. I tell him I will have a sweet potato for breakfast knowing he cooked four of them last night. He apparently took two of them home for himself. That, I consider, is quite presumptuous. But then, he shows me the vegetables he has brought this morning. It may be a this for that sort of arrangement which only he knows of.
My congestion remains, babied myself all day yesterday, a bit of coughing. Yet, I feel in full strength. If someone arrives to take me on a walk, I'll be able to accompany them. With most of the day yesterday inside, I have covered the majority of The Moonstone with only 80 pages remaining of 500. What next?
Having been referred to as omnivorous, I have found my match. These plantain are dull and lack any desirable qualities. Yariut baked one for each of us, of which I finished only 2/3 and, waiting for him to leave, deposited the remainder into the fire of the stove-returning it to Mordor.
My next book is "Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert Massie. But first, a walk out to look around. My reading spots are; looking out the sitting window into the steep mountains, on the steps of the small front porch, on a rock down by the landing strip, or on the stone steps on the path looking over the strip.
At 10:00, I take my new read and plop myself on the rock by the landing strip. Instantly, who knows from where, a crowd develops. A group of girls wants their picture taken. that allows me to take also some pictures of children. A group of teenagers has attached themselves to me and so I hand my camera to one of them. They want to know about the book I am reading. How does one tell these children about Russia and the such history. All I can do is show them the pictures.
Two small sweet potatoes for lunch-Robert could you please pass the cinnamon and honey?
Ereus walks in with two teenagers, family members, from his village 4 hours walk. I offer them the one large sweet potato on the table. They accept, as well as each a cup of coffee heavily sugared. It feels good to have something to offer. The teenagers return to the village at 3:00. Ereus will spend the night.
Dinner is ready. It's 4:30, and my stomach is full. Yariut seems to make more than is possible to eat. He takes the rest home. Ereus asks if i have any batteries. I need to know how to reply, NO! Yes, I do! He takes the 2 AA, puts them in a digital camera. That's that! I'm learning. This is a guesthouse and as such is not my house. Yali men walk in and out at any time. Of course, In Yali culture, even if it were my home they would walk in and out.

No comments: