Friday, March 14, 2008

Holuwon - Sat., March 8, 08

Ereus is up, clanging and bumping around. I also rise. It is pre-dawn. Standing together and looking into the mountains, we discuss the villages across the way, where they are located and the cold they must be enduring under the clouds. Walking distances are talked about. From Holuwon to Wamena, a 15 minute flight by MAF, he will sleep three nights if it is walked-more for a light weight like me. Villages, across the valley, are 3 and 4 nights. To walk to Dekai, in the plain, will also be 3 nights. We talk of days. They speak of nights sleeping.
Holuwon is a mission station, although there are no missionaries here any longer. Yet, the look, feel, and character of a station are here. This type of dwelling, western in look, is found here because a missionary introduced it. The traditional huts are very crude and only used for sleeping. This is a livable house. Although, Mrs. Wilson would not be happy with its condition; the torn curtains and lack of housekeeping, generally.
About last night, around 6:30, Ereus returned and set a plate on the table. He proudly showed me the contents-two small sweet potatoes and a slice of pork. The sight of the pork tells me this will require all my will power. It is a slice of pig skin, 4"X2", burned from being in the fire. Next to the skin is fat. A few mouthfuls of eatable meat cling to the fat. With him watching, satisfaction on his face, I picked it up and ventured a bite. Responding with a forced look of pleasure, he stood as I chewed. When he leaves for a bathroom break, seeing my opportunity, I hurried out the kitchen and flung the remainder into the bushes lining the edge of the house. Hoping he hasn't caught a glimpse, he hasn't, I again, when he returns, said how delicious. He is please So am I!
Returning to Saturday-At 5:00, with a rain settling in, we sit by the stove and talk. Present are Yariut, Erius, another man, a 5 year old nephew of Erius, and 2 teenage nephews, also of Erius. Needing to wash my pants, the only pair I brought, I change into my sarong. The group gives me a big smile as I walk out to bucket some water from the rain barrel. With a light rain falling on me, I wash my clothes and bring them in to hang on a string close to the stove. They don't understand washing clothes at night. That is a day job so they can hang in the sun. The 2 teenagers are especially curious and watch my every move.

No comments: