Friday, March 28, 2008

Cairns - Port Moresby - Lae

Thursday, March 27, 08
My first leg, Cairns to Port Moresby, is on AirPNG, a prop plane. The view of the Great Barrier Reef extends in all directions. Unable to find a half day trip to the Reef, I was content to spend the time in Cairns.
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, has lots of WWII importance but is a small, mostly non-descript spot. I laugh inside as I walk into the domestic terminal and see that there is no seating. The New Guineans are sitting on the floor. I have a few hours to give so I take a walk around the airport lobby, again, and again. In the gate area, I wait for the plane, 1 1/2 hours late - normal.
Arriving in Lae, Bill Simpson greets me and directs me to the baggage claim which I have walked past - a metal table near an opening facing the tarmac. Riding into Lae, we give a ride to a family from close to Ukarumpa, where we will drive to on Saturday, and stop to drop off an order at a farm where later we will hopefully pick up some butter, cream cheese, and other dairy products. Bill is in town to shop for items which will stock the SIL store in Ukarumpa - 4 hours drive into the highlands. Arriving at the SIL (Summer Institute of Linguistics), also known as Wycliffe, guesthouse we check into a spacious 2 room flat (1 twin, 1 double, 1 bunk) designed for families. The rest of the day is occupied with a swim in the pool, an attempt at finding an internet connection, meeting the family which manages the guesthouse (four lovely children age 3-9), and dinner at the Melanesian Hotel, an upscale facility where most businessmen stay. Present for dinner are Bill, four women who have just returned from vacation near Rabaul, and me. I order broiled reef fish, rice and veggies. Bill, Esther, one of the women, and I share a lime cake and ice cream for dessert.

No comments: