Thursday, March 13, 2008

Holuwon - Sat, March 1, 08

I will simply highlight these days.
Saturday, I realize, after looking through my bag, that I brought none of my medicines for stomach ailments, or for malaria. I won't worry about something that isn't an issue, yet.
Together with 15 children circling, the director of the primary school, Enitan, and I head to where there apparently is a hydro-electric plant. Such agility and endurance I wish I had. Silently, we move up the rough terrain and down again. Up and... I have learned to follow, rather than always having the children underfoot by saying "Jalan" - go ahead. At the plant there doesn't appear to be a problem, but there is no electric power in the house. Candles will do! Everyone goes in for a swim. I throw water on my head and neck - it's hot. The heavy rain from last night has made the ground soggy, wet, and muddy. Puddles form at the slightest chance and stepping through them is squishy. The Yali use three streams. One is for bathing. Another for laundry. And the other is for bathroom purposes. Only a fool would get this mixed up.
Arriving back at the village, I bid farewell to Enitan and, with fewer children in tow, am home. With my water bottles now full of boiled water, I see an enormous spider in the sink. Eying each other, I make a note that flip flops are now a part of my body. Soup again.

No comments: