Thursday, March 20, 2008

Bali, on to Australia

Leaving Timika, I fly into Denpasar, the airport city in Bali. We arrive in driving/pounding rain. Funny the Indonesians haven't figured out how to keep us dry while deplaning. Pampered people like to be pampered. Most of those wandering in and out of the airport are Australian, followed quickly by Orientals. The third largest group are Europeans. With 11 hours till my connection into Darwin, I eat, have coffee, sit and watch arrivals, and strike up a conversation with a man who supplies drills to mining companies.
The flight is short, 2 1/2 hours, and we arrive in Darwin, having left during the night, at 5:30 am. I meet up with some Aussie friends and am taken to their home for a freshening up. Around 8:30, we will head to Katherine for the next several days. With this being Easter weekend, holidays are in progress till eary next week. There are other Aussie's we will be connecting with in Katherine. When I left home, I never thought I would have the opportunity to see Australia. But, here I am! More from Katherine, Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks. If the road isn't flooded, we will attempt to also get to Daly River Aboriginal Settlement.

1 comment:

Among Worlds said...

Oh I do hope you have a great time in Australia - and take lots of photos! Am looking forward to hearing all about your time there!